Angeles City Barangays

Barangay Cuayan

Historical Background

Barangay cuayan lies in the southern part of timog park subdivision, sunset valley mansion nearby barangays. It was founded by Don Felix Limcauco on 1919. It was formerly known as one of the sitio of barangay anunas, which was the registered barangay known in town. The pioneer families were the Caligaga, Candelaria, Licup, Lansangan, Cano with a total 12 household only. These families used to vote in barangay anunas where the election took place. In 1965-1971 barrio cuayan was known as one of the critical remote area in the city. In 1972, when president Ferdinand Marcos declared the martial law, this was the year the inhabitants began to increase and separated their families from barangay anunas. Barangay cuayan was formally registered with a population of approximately 550 to malacañang in manila on november 1993. The inhabitants who contributed to the increased population came from nearby places such as Sta. Trinidad, Malabanias, Sapangbato, Concepcion (Tarlac), Bagumbayan, and even from visayan islands of Samar and Leyte.

Its total land area is 426 hectares (412,600 square meters). About 290.14 hectares or 68% of total land area is mainly attributed to agricultural use. The rest of the 135.86 hectares or 32% of total land area is allocated for residential consumption. During the Mount Pinatubo eruption, the lower part of the barangay was fully devastated, and even the houses in the upper part of the barangay, including the farm lots, were not spared from the wrath of the volcanic eruption.

The land is situated in the highest level of the city. A small creek used to run beside the barangay, and now it is considered a river. Two springs, one was Sibul Maragul and one in manuwali, were sealed off by natural causes.

Barangay cuayan is more or less four kilometer away from the town proper of angeles city, and is accessible through tricycle and jeepney rides. Has a main national road, made of cement, with minimal tributaries of sandy roads.

After the eruption of Mount Pinatubo, many government and non-government organizations helped in the recovery of the barangay. These were represented by the department of agriculture, department of social welfare and development, sacop and accress. Some of the residents scavenged waste or scrap materials, and were either sold or recycled. This used to sustain their day to day needs.

The putting up of one elementary school with four buildings was formerly changed from primary to elementary on 1987. Younger students even had their classes at the barangay hall. A small health center and registered midwife rendered the needed health services to the barangay. In the late 1967, a chapel was build and it was offered to the barangay's patron saint, San Isidro Labrador. Its feast day was celebrated every May 15. A pastoral council was organized, spearheading the barrio fiesta. A basketball court was put up which served a recreation for the young and the old. The PNP headquarters station can be seen on the entrance of the barangay.

The main source of income of the inhabitants relies mostly on farming, others served or worked as food vendor, clothes sewers, tricycle driver, and construction workers, and some are employed in private establishment. The main crops that are planted include cassava, sugar cane, sweet potato and vegetables like eggplant, tomatoes, kalabasa, okra, sitaw, fruit bearing trees like, langka, star apple, mango camatsili and guava. Most rely on backyard farming.


Demographic Profile

  • Total Population — 6,661
  • Households — 1,332
  • Schools (Public / Private) :
    • Nursery School :
      • Cuayan Daycare Center
    • Kinder / Preparatory School :
      • Cuayan Elementary School
    • Elementary School :
      • Cuayan Elementary School
      • Bahay Bata Learning Center
  • Health Service Centers :
    • Hospital :
      • Ospital Ning Angeles
    • Barangay Health Center :
      • Cuayan Health Center

Environment

  • Total Land Area — 460 Hectares
  • Farm Land Area — 250 Hectares
  • Residential — 210 Hectares

Contact Information

  • Address Purok 1, Cuayan, Angeles City
  • Mobile 0919-3973643 (PB)

Barangay Council

  • Punong Barangay Arturo M. Candelaria
  • Brgy. Councilor Ramon S. De Leon
  • Brgy. Councilor Rufino M. Candelaria
  • Brgy. Councilor June S. Lansang
  • Brgy. Councilor Leonor L. De Leon
  • Brgy. Councilor Villamor M. Candelaria
  • Brgy. Councilor Michael M. Caligagan
  • Brgy. Councilor Armando A. Cano
  • Secretary Angela DC. Ortega
  • Treasurer Marry Anne L. Simbulan
Angeles City Local Government - All content is Public Domain